History of the castle

“The landscape that opens up to the eyes of the viewer is one of the most beautiful not only among those located along the banks of the river the Meuse, but also those that our imagination can draw. Tihange Castle is built in this pleasant and contemplating place. " (Paradise in the Liege area, Somery, 18th century)

The first building on the site of the Tihange castle dates back to the 10th century. It was built on the site of the villa of Saint Jean Lamb, bishop of Tongra in the 7th century, whose name is associated with the legend of the appearance of an angel and a dry stick covered with flowers and leaves.

In 1135 the building belonged to the bishopric of Liege and passed into the private ownership of the Beaufort family in the 13th century. This stone building, which was later used to build the foundation of the castle, was destroyed around 1550. For about a quarter of a century, only ruins remained of it. In 1576 Charles de Potier bought and completely rebuilt the castle of stones and bricks.

The modern building retains the basic look and Mozan style that Charles de Potier gave it. Further, the castle passed into the hands of Count Jean-Baptiste Nuvolard, who partially modified it in 1687. He added an elegant bell tower, completely covered with slate tiles. The coats of arms of this family are still visible on the outer walls of the castle. Later, the castle passed to his wife's nephews, the Van Den Steen family until the end of the 18th century.

The castle passed from hand to hand until it was bought by Baron Prosper Posvik in 1879. He attached the right wing to the main building and filled the moat in front of the castle. He also installed the letters P (Poswick) and M (Marmol), the name of his wife, on the walls of the annexes, which are visible in the courtyard. Despite all the changes dictated by the comfort requirements of the 19th century, the castle has retained its Mozan style.

The family of the Posvik barons lived in the castle until 2003.

The interior of the castle is fraught with architectural treasures: oak stairs and doors, walls sheathed with wood panels, ceramic tiles of English Delft and magnificently decorated fireplaces.

Moreover, the castle is famous for its English park, created in 1874 by the park architect Fontaine, whose goals were to create a park for walking and relaxation. A large lawn-covered esplanade overlooks the forested part of the park. The circular path along the park gives you the opportunity to admire the age-old trees, 11 of which are protected by the state, and the wealth of natural herbs. During the walk, a variety of surprises await you, in particular an old glacier buried in the underground of the park.